Option trading update…Mixed feelings and opportunities

This Friday is the March expiration cycle. For me, that means that I have a lot of positions to manage in the 2 weeks before. So, what have I been doing? There is good news and there is the rest and then the sad news.

First the good news

I started to play with iron condors – this means a market neutral postion where you let time do the work. These worked out quite well and generated profit in March.

And the rest

I have doubled and then trippled down on RDSA. As a result, I will soon be the proud owner of an additional 200 stock RDSA. For the medium term, I do not mind. We will get oil greedy again and there will be an excess again.

I also need to decide what I do with the accounting of these stock and option trades. For now, I will take the full option premium as a profit and book the stock at strike price +trading fees +taxes. I will report this fully transparent. More on that in the March report

My China trad is still under water. This will take time to recover… for sure… I only get assigned in April.

What does this mean for the rest of the year?

I have a limited budget allocated to, option trading. I boost this by allowing myself some non fully cash secured trades -or trading on a margin. I used to take 130€ risk for every 100€ that I have. SOme do more, some do less. That is what I do.

With the Corona crisis I have reduced my personal margin to 0. That way, I can not go belly up in leverage… I can only go to 0 🙂

So, at this stage with 300 RDSA stock and 100 FXI coming soon, I have very little space left to trade. That money is currently working to survive on some goldmine trades.

That leaves me with 0 EUR left to trade today.

As soon as gold mines go higher, I have additional room: I own gold mine stock that I can use to write calls against. I only do that for a decent profit.

So, for now, no option trading – This is the sad part…

As an opportunity, I am considering to transfer some money from money accounts to the stock market and buy the S&P500. As it is cash intensive (you need to buy per 100), I still need to figure out if I go the SPY route or the VTI route. The advantage of options is that I can decide now on the entry price and that I have a strong handcuff – breakable when I really want – to keep my order to buy during this crisis. That is then maybe the positive news…

How are you doing with investing and trading?


One thought on “Option trading update…Mixed feelings and opportunities

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s